Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sometimes...I'm just cruel

Okay, I know that the reason why I have enemies, or those I like to call "jealous", is because of my sharp mouth and sometimes unforgiving nature. But, I also know that why I have friends, or those I call "smart", is for the exact same reason. Some people get me, others don't.

I am fully aware that sometimes I can be just plain cruel when I want. You could ask my parents, my husband but especially my students. When they are outright being disobedient I let them have it. I've only had to really be cruel about 3 times a year. My threshold for annoying teenagers is actually pretty high. Well one of those "cruel times" happened on Monday.

As you may recall from previous posts I must teach P.E. Laughable, I know. Anyway, the group I have is "Mixed Sports" so I decided to do a beach day in Kailua where the students could either play two-hand touch football, volleyball or swim; all of which are sports.

So we get there and they drive me nuts! They aren't staying in the boundaries I outlined, they keep trying to wrestle with each other when my back is turned and some of the girls show up in bikinis that would make Paris Hilton blush! I finally get them all in the school van and yell at them that if one person makes a noise on the ride back they're all getting an incident report (which is our version of demerits or detention). So they're quiet...mostly.

When I get to the school I park the car, turn around in my seat and scream my head off at them. I scold them for being disrespectful to me and the other staff there. I scold them for being a nuisance to the other beach goers. I yell at them for making me regret ever coming up with fun things to do for P.E. since they are such ungrateful, uncouth creatures and from now on it's laps and obstacle courses until the end of the semester. When I was done shouting I made them get out and clean all of the school vans. All 8. Inside and out.

They didn't finish until well after school was over. But, I didn't let them go. After they were done they went inside the school, emptied trash and cleaned the bathrooms. Then I had them get up today and publicly apologize to the rest of the students for embarrassing themselves and the school name at the beach. 3 out of the 24 I have cried (they were girls obviously). 4 called their parents and gave them their version. The parents called me up just now, I set them straight, and the parents were so mad they ended up grounding their kids on top of the punishment I gave.

Now that I've calmed down I can see how I was a bit cruel. I didn't have to make them do all that cleaning. The apology I stand by and even the vans. But the rest...I don't know. And then when those parents called it made me angrier. I did all of that and 4 of them didn't learn their lesson.

However, I have to keep in mind that 3 did cry and 20 didn't call their parents. So...I guess it worked for the majority. But this experience solidifies the fact that I belong in High School. Can you imagine me being this way with Elementary!? Can you say lawsuit?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

haha. I love it! I wish I could be mean. I also have to watch what I say b/c I have a student who has a CRAZY grandma! seriously, she's nuts! I would love to yell at them but..I don't have it. Maybe you could yell at them one day. Hopefully, the kids have learned their lesson now!

RazakFamily said...

Kel, I would have done the EXACT same thing!! You are so my hero, and I stand by your punishment for them! Cleaning the vans and publicly apologizing is a PERFECT punishment. Girls are dumb - they shouldn't cry. And those that called their parents are just dumb...don't they know that parents and teachers ALWAYS side together?!?!
You're not cruel...you just know how to get your point across!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly you weren't cruel, you were strict. Take it from one person who understand the nature of being cruel, you let those kids off easy. They are of an age where they KNOW how to be responsible... if these were 5 year olds I'd say, "KELLY! Fix your brain cause you just fell off your rocker making FIVE YEAR olds clean!"

I would have done the same thing you did... well... no... I would have been a bit meaner. You were actually spot on in your punishment.