Friday, April 17, 2009

I don't think I'm ready...

Okay, so I'm pregnant. But recent events have brought the question to my mind, "Am I really ready?". I mean let's be honest; me...in charge of another human being...who can't eat, sleep or poop without my help? Doubtful, very doubtful.

This thought continues to be drilled in my head. I've talked to my mom about it and she tells me that you can never be prepared for things like this. No kid comes with an owner's manual (though I want them to) and you just have to do what comes naturally. Like some sort of maternal instinct.

Now I tell you that story, to tell you this one.

Yesterday I went to class and presented the research I've done so far on my paper. One of my classmates had to bring her 5 year old son since the husband is gone and no one could watch him. No problem. But this kid was ANNOYING. He was always singing at the top of his lungs or talking when other people were; and it wasn't unintentional. He'd wait till you wanted to say something and then belted his lungs out. His mom tried to hush him but she didn't give it much effort; like she did this everyday and it was no big deal.

Well then he starts running around the classroom, hitting a stick against the chairs. My teacher is trying to be understanding but at the same time is ticked off. Finally the kid hits my chair and I tell him, "Be careful, you're going to trip and fall."

He stuck his tongue at me!

So I stuck mine back. And he cried. Like I care. He tried to hit me but I held his head with my hand so his arms started swinging towards me but never hitting me. (You're probably wondering what the other people are doing. His mom's in the bathroom, my teacher is at the board with her back to me and the rest of the class is giving me the thumbs up)So finally he gets tired and gives up.

Class ends an hour later and as I'm leaving to my car so is my classmate and her son. She's telling the kid "Be careful you're going to trip." he sticks his tongue out at her and runs. Well obviously he trips, falls flat on his face and I run back inside laughing my head off. The look on his face when he realized he fell, after his mom and I said he was going to, was priceless.

But as funny as this is...I don't think I'm ready to have one of my own. But I can't really do anything about that now can I?

6 comments:

Tara said...

No one is EVER ready! I'm having my 4th, a little girl after having 3 boys, I'm terrified and definitely not ready but whatchya gonna do?! You will be a great mom and your child won't be a brat like that because you won't let him/her! I can't wait to see a picture of your baby because I know he/she will be gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

It's true. NO one is ever ready! You guys are going to be awesome parents and I LOVE that story! AHAHAHA!!

Anonymous said...

i can so picture you doing that to a kid..lol.. but yes, its true, no one is ever ready for a baby.. also it seems as if that lady didnt have control of her kid, no discipline which it all depends on how you raise your kid. you will be a great mother..

KayTee said...

Some of it is the parenting. If you are consistent and follow through you will be a lot better discipliner then that mother was. But what do I know I don't have a kid. :) Just my opinion and I am full of those. ;)

KayTee said...

You should of tripped him. That would of been even funnier....See I am not ready for kids either. But I am not Prego. However, I think you will do just fine with your children I don't see you letting things get that far.

KayTee said...

By the way your Widget creeps me out. :)